Saturday, March 9, 2013

Coming Out of the Pagan's Closet


This may seem like something you shouldn't worry about until farther down the road, but there are most parents or families out there that may not be happy with your decision to become a Pagan/Wiccan. I'm bringing this up now for all of you to look back and figure out if this is REALLY what you want. Some people only become a Pagan because it goes against all that their family is for and they just want to get back at them, or there may be smart ones that say "Yeah, I'm doing this for me." and if you are one of them, congratulations  and if you aren't you should probably sort through your priorities first and get back on track.

Last night was a big night for me and today was a big day for me as well. First, last night I told my sister - whom is my bestest friend in the world! - that I was going to become a Pagan. For about four years I have studied Wicca - not really doing it though - and I also studied Christianity, Atheism, Jehovah Witness stuff, and I made sure to figure out what exactly it was that I was looking for in my spirituality. For me I have always wanted a mother figure. Yes, I already have a mother and a step-mom who could fill in that position, but physically and spiritually I had a father, now I only needed to have a spiritual mother. Many of the Christian religions believe in the one God who is a Father to all, and I respect that, but it isn't for me. I told my sister this and after a while she finally understood what I wanted. 

Today, I sat my father and my step-mother down and I told them that I wasn't doing this to hurt them, or to against them in anyway, but I made this decision for me. After I told them that I wanted to become Pagan, they didn't flip out - thankfully - but they acknowledged my choice and they stuck by me. I then went to my Mother's house and spoke to her and my step-dad about it and I made sure that they were on the same page. They were really hesitant - since her parents are Jehovah Witnesses - but they as well acknowledged my decision. 

I'm lucky that those in my family acted that way with me and I'm glad that I can be opened up to them instead of just hiding my beliefs, but there may be those of you who aren't as lucky. Your parents may flip out and just go crazy as if you were the Devil, or they may throw you out onto the streets, but there are two simple things that you must stick to when sharing this information to your parents:

1) Don't force the idea onto them, carefully bring them into it as if you were saying you were going into the Military.
2) Keep to your beliefs.

When you are first going to tell your parents/guardians this, you cannot suddenly say "I'm going to be a Pagan!" because the first thing that many think of with Paganism - the same with Wicca - is Devil Worship, Satanism, spells, witchcraft, etc. You'll only just freak them out! Begin by simply stating:  "I have something important I have to tell you. I just want you to know that I am not doing this to offend or hurt you, but I am doing this because I feel like it is right and I need you to respect my decision. If you aren't going to respect it, I will understand, but at least acknowledge my choice." 

This is a good opening because it gets your parents thinking and it sets them up that this is important to you and they will hear you out. Next, still don't jump into telling them you're Pagan just yet, but ease them in and break the ice. See if they will guess what it is that is so important to you, or you can say "I've put a lot of thought into this and I have done the research for it (I will explain this in a moment) and I just want you to know that I have prepared for what may happen, but I want you to know that this will not change me. I'm still me and I will always be your child." 

Then you could maybe say "I'm a Pagan." 

But one of the most crucial things you MUST do is research this topic before you just tell your parents that you're a Pagan. Make sure to know enough that you can answer their questions (One of the biggest ones was "What is Paganism?" for my parents) and you have to be ready for anything that happens. Rejection, happiness, fear, or just questions. Like I said, I studied this stuff for five years to make sure that this IS what I wanted. You don't have to do the same amount of time, but make sure to get all your facts straight and - even though this may sound rude or bad - make sure to show your parents up, put them in their place about this because the idea of Paganism and Wicca has been twisted into many things that a lot of religions have got it wrong. To sound smart, say that most of the Christian holidays are based off of Pagan holidays. Here's a list:

Halloween
Christmas
Easter
Valentine's Day
Thanksgiving
Mother and Father's Day
and Sunday Services

All this because of Pagans. Without the Pagans, the Christian religions wouldn't have been formed. Anyway, basically get Street Smart - do your research on Christianity and Paganism, create a list of how the Christians took Pagan ideas, just make sure to get all your facts straight before you judge a book by it's cover. http://www.nazarite.net/evil-holidays.html

Well, this was a lot to take in, but good luck and if you have any questions just ask!

Blessed Be!

No comments:

Post a Comment